Monday, September 15, 2014


I started working on my flagpole on June 3, mainly by starting to build a jig. Across six weeks, I got the main flagpole done, but no base, and certainly no place to plant it. I’ve continued to work on it slowly, building the base and more painting and other work.

Today things finally came together.

Photo Sep 15, 6 31 39 PM

It’s a good day for me, one where I completed this project, one that I’ve wanted to work on for a few years, but haven’t taken the time.

After getting Delaney home and making dinner, I went outside before dusk and checked the base. It looks good, and I covered it with a bit of dirt, tamping it down with boots. Still more work to be done there, but once that was done, I get the flagpole ready to raise.

Photo Sep 15, 6 24 02 PM

There are two bolts that hold it in place. One is a pivot point, which you see above. The other is lower, and I had to raise the pole slowly, not let it tip in the other direction, which might have shattered the wood, and then get the bolt through. As you might expect with wood, things moved a bit, but it’s I used a hammer to tap through bolts and then tightened them.

Photo Sep 15, 6 31 24 PM

With the pole done, I unpacked my flag for the first time and attached it to the rings. A nice breeze made raising it and taking this picture interesting.

Photo Sep 15, 6 30 51 PM

It’s been a long summer, and a long project. I learned a few things, only messed up two boards, and had only minor issues. I didn’t learn a lot about woodworking that I didn’t know, but I did get to build some confidence on a project I wasn’t sure would turn out well.

I’d like to build another one, and there are a few things I’d do differently, but for now, I’ll enjoy this one.


Photo Sep 15, 6 31 39 PM

No comments: