Friday, August 7, 2020

Memories of the first 148 Days under COVID-19

 I wrote a post outlining the current state. This one looks back.

Memories of the last 148 days

We were ready for Crossroads on Mar 6, and Tia made me cancel our trip to the UK. I told my boss, cancelled the flight and hotel and car. It was a PIA as the hotel cancellation took me a few weeks until the hotel at Heathrow accepted pretty much no one was coming and they just needed to refund things.

We went to Crossroads, slightly worried, but not too much. Weird to see kids waving from the 10ft lines instead of high fives. We cleaned tables and balls, refs elbow bumped with kids. Overall, it was a normal tournament. We finished, had practice on Wed, Mar 11. Thursday my office shut down. Friday Crossroads week 2 was cancelled, as was our practice.

All events cancelled for work, and the few places I'd submitted to started closing down across months.

SQL Saturday and Speaking

I'd submitted to three SQL Saturdays in Feb/Mar. One went virtual for April, and I presented remotely. It was the same type of user group presentation I'd done remotely in the past. Nothing special, and my energy was low. I still held out hopes of SQL Sat Virginia Beach in April. By early May, all hopes were dashed.

Since then, there have been a few virtual events. I spoke at the Guatemala Tech Day, and have a couple SQL Saturdays out there. Virtual is still sucky. I can't even think of when the next live event will be. 

PASS will be virtual and I submitted in the second call for speakers. I'm mad at PASS, I think the BoS had a shitty culture, and has for over a decade. I think they've poorly managed funds. I also think, after lots of conversations, we are worse off if they go under. At least for now. I'm supporting them, against some of my ongoing emotions.

I'm trying to be more open minded.


Losing the second half of our season was upsetting. I struggled to even think about communicating with this year's girls. I was really enjoying seeing them every week, and pushing them to be better. We got notes about restarts, and things kept sliding as the state kept moving orders. Eventually the state opened at the end of May and we got the go ahead to schedule practices. 

We did two a week, and got a lot of girls. It was a fun time and we were glad to be in the gym. No masks, just the 10 of us, playing and having fun. Near the end of June we stopped for vacation, and then never got going as we focused on next year's team. Tia and I got talked into coaching 15s, which would be the girls I coached last year.

Tryouts were a mess, and I realize a weak point in my coaching skillset. We only got 2 girls from my old 13s team, and then 3 others from last year's team. I was disappointed and sad, but I understand. I'm not mad here (unlike with PASS).

We've had some open gyms and did some tryout prep, but most of the girls from this year's team moved on. I was amazed we got 6 at the last practice, which was cool.


Colorado opened early, with Georgia and a few others, and we managed things well. A few weeks after businesses opened, we got gyms. I was excited to go back. I even got a massage, though with a mask it sucked. A few weeks later we opened bars.

Then cases rose. People argued about masks, and we slowed down again. We closed some things, have a 10pm last call, and after a couple weeks cases slowed with everything else.

Overall I think we managed well, but I live in a bubble. My life is easy. I get why some people might not feel that way.


We had plans this year, but they were scrapped. Really, we weren't sure when we could go anywhere. I early May, we finally got in contact with a campground near Custer and booked time away. A week with all three kids, and Nora, was fantastic. We really had a good time.

I came back and headed to Keystone, CO. Our condo opened and I needed to work away from noise. We had floors being refinished, and I had to run a 6 hour broadcast to Australia. I thought everyone was coming, but everyone bailed. I had a night alone, but then Tia came up and we had two nice days in the mountains.

Every other camping thing has fallen apart. No endurance races, no places, a trip planned to VA cancelled. 

I don't know when we'll travel. We're supposed to go camping next week, but until we go, I won't count that. Not sure when I'll fly, though Kyle has to go to CA sometime this month and I may just go. I may try and talk Tia into a trip to see my Mom and one to see my brother.

That and more condo time.

Working Out 

I was in a good routine after my sabbatical, but when the gym closed, I was a bit sad. I started some bike riding inside, and a little yoga, but I was struggling. After a week or so, I realized I needed to take care of myself, so I hit the rowing machine. A few other friends online were doing it and it inspired me. I worked through a number of 5ks, a few 7ks, and even a 10k. That was good for me to push myself and realize I can do that. 

I also started more yoga at home, committing to videos from Lifetime and Yoga by Tim. I've come to enjoy those times, mixing in some basement weight lifting with yoga and rowing.

When the gym opened, I went back 3 days a week. 1 yoga class because they're in demand and only 17 slots. I started to swim once a week and lift once a week. The rest of the time I do yoga at home, row, walk, lift.

An exciting time this summer was Delaney coming home a few times. He did Yoga with me, enjoyed it, and is doing it daily at his place. He did a few lunchtime classes outside with me, and then started asking me when he came if I was working out.

He also went swimming with me twice. I dusted him because he doesn't know how to swim, but I know with 2-3 weeks of practice, I'd likely not be able to keep up with him.

Even today, I do play a little volleyball at open gym, 3 days at lifetime, and yoga twice at home. Life or row a day as well


I've learned a lot of songs this year. I worked through some fingerpicking during the sabbatical, but then added on some Beatles since then. I'm trying to learn a song every couple weeks, which is hard when I'm tired at the end of the day. Still, I've gained confidence and feel better about playing. 

Working on Stand By Me right now.


Work has been busy. We had about 2-3 weeks of limited communication, but then things took off. Too much for awhile, with lots of virtual events. I've done some, pulled back from some because I need creative energy for regular work.

Lots of customer calls, as we find people need more hand holding for now. I'm on regular sales calls with customers, which is a nice challenge and a good outlet. Putting together PoCs has become fun.

I also have lots more morning meetings. It seems as we try to coordinate, I seem to get lots of things with the UK people early, more so than in the past.

I also look forward to Friday morning happy hour with the UK and Thursday afternoon with the US. I miss as many as I make, but they're fun.


 When things closed down, we scheduled ACL surgery for Vega. She did the left one in March, and it went pretty well. A pain with the cast and the snow, but then she healed nicely. We did the right one in July, and it was less smooth, but she's looking better every day.

Tia rescued a pregnant mare. Quarantined somewhere for 20-some days, but came home last week. I installed cameras so we could watch her. Here she is in the round pen.

I also did a bunch of riding in April with Tia. I'd go out once every week or two with her, learning a bit, but spending time with her. If we weren't skiing or traveling, I am glad I decided to take advantage of the chance to be with her more.


 For a long time all restaurants were closed for dining. We did takeout every couple weeks, but not too often. I cooked a lot. Then they could open.

I still remember us booking a dinner with Sandy. Tia, I, Kendall, Kyle, we drove down to Castle Rock, went into a place where staff had masks and at least half the tables were taped off. We got drinks and when Sandy walked in, we all hugged her a lot. It was nice.

Since then, it's not been too often, but we have had a meal in a place every couple weeks. Weird to be there with few people sitting, but nice to be out.

Social Contact

I went a long time only seeing my family. When I had the chance to see boarders or someone in the neighborhood, I talked with them longer than I expected. I realized that as introverted as I am, I miss contact with people. Even Tia noticed I talked with people more.

I invited a few families out for happy hour. I think I annoyed Tia, but I really missed people and was glad to have some people come out and see us. It fulfilled something inside me.

Lately I've gone out for a beer with friends after open gym. I realize I need more contact.

There are more memories, and likely I'll drop more notes, but I need to do a current post every week or two, as this crazy world continues to evolve.

No comments: